What is a Restaurant POS ?
Restaurant POS systems are the backbone of any restaurant. This is an implementation of a point of sale terminal to handle the sale of goods, services, or both. The purpose of a restaurant POS system is to provide the owner of an establishment with an efficient, accurate, and cost-effective way to manage their business.
The Ins and Outs of Restaurant POS Systems
What is a Restaurant POS System?
The restaurant POS system is an important piece of technology that is used in fast dining and quick service restaurants. Restaurants use it to take orders, process payments and manage inventory. A restaurant POS system can take a large amount of stress out of maintaining restaurant operations. The best part is, you can access a free version or subscription-based version with low costs per month.
They collect and store all customer data in one location, and ensure employees can easily access it. They handle loyalty programs and gift cards so customers can buy just the right item at the right time. Customers can pay with credit cards, gift cards, debit cards, or cash. Sometimes they can even pay with Apple Pay or Venmo, depending on the system's functionality. Moreover, they are full of top data insights are owners use to optimize decision-making and eliminate problems.
POS systems can either be handheld, on a computer, or mobile.
Servers can easily carry POS systems around, take orders, and process payments through a card reader. Or, customers can access the POS during online ordering. Kitchen staff can then view orders immediately on a kitchen display. They integrate with inventory management to ensure each order updates the amount of stock in-house. This saves a lot of money, improves profits, and increases customer satisfaction.
Why is a Restaurant POS System Important?
The restaurant POS system is the heart of the restaurant. It processes all of your orders and without it, customer payment options would be limited. It's important to make sure that you have a POS system that is easy to use and has the features that will make your job as a restaurant manager easier. Moreover, employees can access the information they need to perform their jobs and optimize credit card processing.
It streamlines table turnover and ensures kitchen staff knows which order to make items in. A full-scope POS system will ultimately increase profits and drive customers to the restaurant. It organizes inventory, tracks sales, automates billing, and manages online orders. POS software collects valuable data that helps restaurant owners make better business decisions to improve customer loyalty.
Perhaps most importantly, it offers peace of mind. It's nice to know your restaurant is running smoothly, without any complications. A POS system serves as your restaurant's command center. While initial investments may be pricey, restaurant software is worth the investment. Furthermore, there is typically a free plan option for both a retail POS and Restaurant POS.
Online employee scheduling software that makes shift planning effortless.
Try it free for 14 days.
How to Use a Restaurant POS System
If you've never used a restaurant POS system, you might be a little intimidated by the prospect. But you shouldn't be! There are many awesome things you can do with a restaurant POS system that will make your life as a restaurant manager. Features include the following-
- Fast Ordering- Customers can pay for menu items with a credit card, cash, or debit card. There are also other options, such as Apple Pay. This of course depends on restaurant needs and POS software functionality. Table service is optimized, which improves customer satisfaction.
- Data Security- Restaurant POS software all data in one secure location. This is particularly true if the solution is cloud-based. Restaurants no longer have to worry about employee theft or fraud with the right POS solution. Every manager can see who accesses the system and when. There are also embedded security features to prevent hackers from accessing sales data.
- Inventory Management- Inventory management is critical to prevent waste and optimize the reordering process. A POS system connects to inventory software to ensure everything is updated as soon as an order is placed. This allows managers to reorder the exact number of items they need, which saves a lot of money.
- Reporting- Managers can use management system data to make better decisions and minimize problems. They can view employee performance data, sales data, customer data, and more. This provides better financial opportunities for long-lasting growth.
- Menu Optimization- Restaurants can easily optimize the menu with a few simple clicks. This is a great feature for large chains that make regular menu updates. There is also easy access to customer support in case management needs help with menu optimization.
- Employee Scheduling- Owners can view employee data to see who shows up on time, who is late, and who is (or isn't) meeting expectations. This can help improve training and eliminate high labor costs, which increases profit margins in full service restaurants.
POS Optimization to Increase Sales: Many restaurant have seen sales increase by 20% after speeding up tableside ordering with a POS system. One helpful trick that may increase sales further is to optimize the menu using the Golden Triangle method. This is where all high-margin items are placed strategically on the menu in the shape of a triangle. Studies show that this design feature lures in the human eye and increases sales.
Top Restaurant POS System Benefits for Customers
We all want our favorite restaurant to thrive. The best way to ensure that is by supporting the POS system they use. It's a common misconception that a POS system is a form of technology that a restaurant has to adapt to survive. The truth is that it's a way for a restaurant to offer its customers a better experience. Here are a few ways a POS system can benefit customers.
- Better Customer Service- Customers can access loyalty points and use their gift cards on a restaurant management solution. They also have multiple payment options. There are fewer errors on orders, which further increases customer satisfaction.
- More Streamlined Processes- Because restaurants can access and store data in one centralized location, processes are much more streamlined. Everyone has the most real-time data at their disposal, which helps improve decision-making. With the best restaurant POS systems, nobody is making decisions based on outdated data. Optimized tableside ordering processes shorten wait times and make customers happier.
- Fewer Errors- Any computerized system will result in fewer errors than a manual process. And that's what a POS system does for restaurants. Management features lead to fewer errors in orders, which means better data insights and happier customers. This of course leads to higher profits.
Top Restaurant POS System Benefits for Restaurant Staff
Not only can a restaurant POS improve customer satisfaction, but it is also a huge benefit for restaurants. No longer do they have to rely on an outdated cash register for data insights or slow transaction process. A restaurant POS system is an important part of a restaurant's business. Here are the top benefits of a POS for restaurants.
- Inventory Management- Restaurants can optimize inventory management with the right POS system. As soon as an order goes through, all stock levels immediately update the system. This improves the reordering process and eliminates a lot of waste.
- Saves Money- There are fewer errors with a computerized system than there are with manual processes. Inventory management ensures stock levels are accurate. All of this minimizes waste.
- Increases Profit- With better table turnover and shorter wait times, restaurants can serve more people in one day. Fewer errors and more accurate data ensure customers keep coming back. This increases profits dramatically.
Online employee scheduling software that makes shift planning effortless.
Try it free for 14 days.
How to Choose a Restaurant POS System
The restaurant POS system you choose will play a major role in how you run your restaurant. Deciding on a POS system for your restaurant can be tough. There are so many to choose from, and it can be difficult to know which one will work best for your needs. But don't worry! Here are a few considerations to keep in mind.
- Usability- The system should be easy to navigate, even for non-tech savvy individuals. It should also be simple to update and customize, particularly for large chains.
- Reporting Capabilities- How much data are you able to store and access? This is critical when choosing a POS system. You want a solution that produces the most accurate insights, filled with all of your data across multiple sectors of the restaurant.
- Ordering and Payment Options- There should be multiple payment options for customers so it's as easy as possible to check out. If implementing a self-service POS system, customers must be able to find the item they want and use loyalty points if necessary.
- Back-Office Functions- You should be able to execute all and any back-office functions that are critical to running a restaurant. You can also include add ons that customize the POS solution to your liking. Research a provider that offers the best back-office capabilities and POS features.
Other Tips to Choose a POS: You should consider setup cost and hardware options to ensure compatibility. Choosing a cloud-based solution is also growing in popularity due to its increased storage capacity. Finally, choose a restaurant POS that aligns with business goals and employee needs. Every point sale system should make work life easier, increase sales and streamline processes.
Trending in the Right Direction- The Future of Restaurant POS Systems
We are living in the restaurant POS system of the future. It has been said that the past is a foreign country, but it's also true that the future is a foreign country. We can't know what the restaurant POS system of the future will be like, but we can be sure that it will be different. So how do we deal with this uncertainty? We can only rely on the certainties that we have now.
Look out for an increase in payment options and tablet POS as more customers expect digital experiences. Cloud-based technology will also continue to expand in popularity due to its storage capabilities and subscription-based payment models. It will also be much easier for customers to use a POS system, and probably more interactive.
Expect more customized experiences to tailor to the customer's needs. AI will be a big part of the future, as well as enhanced usage of data and analytics. While it's impossible to know exactly what the future of POS systems will be like, we know what's growing in popularity now.